Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dogs are Man's Best Friends


By: Webster Magcalas

Having a dog as a companion is one of the greatest joys in life. It is but probable that God sent them to us so that we would have a loyal and trustful companion. Remember the movie 101 Dalmatians? Aren’t they wonderful and adorable?
Photo Credit: Webster Magcalas


When Disney released the movie 101 Dalmatians, the demand for Dalmatians skyrocketed and that many people are dreading to have one. Little do these people know that having a dog is not just about the admiration and the cuddles.

This massive influx of bought and adopted Dalmatians led to an increase in the number of Dalmatians in pounds and adoption centers, some are being left on the streets to wander, some are hit by trucks and cars because they were neglected. Little do these owners know that raising a puppy is more like raising a child, it is rewarding but if your heart is not into it, you might as well consider having a fish.

As being owned by dogs for about 17 years, I can say that it is my favorite job in the world – to take care of dogs. There are a lot of things to consider in bringing home a puppy.

- Are you financially capable of all the costs like food, vaccination, grooming, supplements, accessories and monthly check ups?
- Is your house dog-proof?
- Do you have the time to take care of your pup?
- Are you willing to endure sleepless nights because your dog is crying?
- Are you willing to take care of the mess that your dog created?

The list goes on and on. Now that I am officially an adult, I got myself 2 Siberian huskies. For me among the 21 dogs that I had taken care of in my life, these breed are the most challenging yet the most rewarding.

Now that you have answered the questions above, let’s now look at the joys that a dog can give you. The companionship and loyalty that a dog will give to you is incomparable. I am a firm believer that dogs are capable of feeling what their owner is feeling and that they are sensitive to our feelings.

I had this Retriever and whenever I am sad, I say whatever I want to say to him, all my problems, all my joys - everything. When my grandmother died, I cried to him and he whined all the time and he never left me during all those depressing moments. He followed me everywhere I go, it was like I can feel that he was saying “It’s gonna be alright, I’m here”.

Anyway guys, so now that you know the ups and downs of having a dog, I bet it is now easier for you to decide whether or not you would buy or adopt a dog. My next article would be about choosing the right dog, because like humans dogs of different breeds have their notable characteristics too. Keep posted.

You may want to read: "Bringing Home a Puppy."

4 comments:

  1. These truly are important factors to consider before owning a dog. And I truly agree with Webster.

    "- Are you financially capable of all the costs like food, vaccination, grooming, supplements, accessories and monthly check ups?
    - Is your house dog-proof?
    - Do you have the time to take care of your pup?
    - Are you willing to endure sleepless nights because your dog is crying?
    - Are you willing to take care of the mess that your dog created?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi tashabud,

    Thanks for agreeing with my article. It is truly great to have a dog, but these factors are to be considered so that a harmonious relationship with a dag would be ensured. Some people just jump into buying a dog without even considering these things, this is the reason why there are a lot of dogs on the pound and on adoption area. Thanks for taking time to read my article God bless you. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasha,

    I can see that you know how to take care of your pet. What I don't like about dogs, is cleaning up their mess...lol....

    Web,

    I agree. Perhaps they have not yet experience the joy of taking care of a pet. I cried when my dog, Piper, died. Thanks again for the great article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grammar correction THEY HAVE NOT YET EXPERIENCED....

    ReplyDelete